SPEAK! Women of Color Media Collective is a netroots coalition of media-makers interested in strengthening our communities through truth-telling, media justice and the creation of a network of women of color media makers.
SPEAK! members blend together personal experience with an intersectional [includes everyone] multi-issue feminist perspective. SPEAK! members believe in media that is for our communities, by our communities. The framework SPEAK! uses is the one created by earlier feminists of color: a life-long commitment to addressing interlocking forms of oppression by creating radical transformative relationships to each other and the world.
In addition to a zine of poetry, lyrics, and art, SPEAK! has produced a CD and encourages “Listening Parties” – including a PDF of discussion questions and related activities for each of the CD tracks – great for community reading groups and classroom use.
This is the track list for the CD:
1. Why Do You Speak? – Adele Nieves
2. Something Else to Be – Sydette Harry (Black Amazon)
3. Slip – Maegan “La Mamita Mala” Ortiz
4. We Will Never Forget – Nadia Abou-Karr
5. When I Speak – Aaminah Hernández
6. We Are the Daughters – Lisa Factora-Borchers
7. Severance – Sylvia Peay
8. Tears and Beauty – Cripchick
9. An Archaelogy of Freedom – Alexis Pauline Gumbs
10. My Cats – Baby BFP
11. Reality – Noemi Martinez
12. Sin – BrownFemiPower
13. On Cartography and Dissection – E. Rose Sims
14. Genocide – Nadia Abou-Karr
15. Chaos – Fabiola Sandoval
16. Song of Solomon – Sydette Harry (Black Amazon)
17. Sequestro – Maegan “La Mamita Mala” Ortiz
18. Wishful Thinking – Alexis Pauline Gumbs
19. I Feel Pretty – E. Rose Sims and SPEAK!
20. For Those of Us… – SPEAK!