- Item View Image:
- A Magazine of Writing & Art
About this Magazine:
New Letters, a magazine of writing and art founded in 1934, publishes fiction, essays, poetry, and reviews by established and emerging writers alike. New Letters is committed to publishing creative work that pushes the boundaries of form. We prize innovative use of language and uniqueness of voice above all else.
- Editor(s): Christie Hodgen, Ashley Wann, John Hodgen
- Organization (if applicable): University of Missouri - Kansas City
- Address 1: 5101 Rockhill Road
- City: Kansas City
- State Code: MO
- Postal Code: 64110
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.newletters.org
- Facebook: Facebook
- Twitter: Twitter
- Instagram: Instagram
- Format: Print
- Genres: Art, Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, Reviews
- Sample (Postpaid): $10
- Copy Price: $18
- Simultaneous Submissions: yes (with notice)
- Postal Submissions: no
- Email Submissions: no
- Online Submissions: yes (via Submittable)
- Subscription (individuals): $32
- Subscription (institutions): $32
- Reading Period: year-round
- Response Time: 2-5 months
- Payment: yes (see website)
- Contests: yes (see website)
- ISSN: 0146-4930
- Founded: 1934
- Issues Per Year: 2 double issues
Publisher's description: New Letters, founded in 1934 at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, has a long history of publishing emerging writers that go on to have storied careers. In our archive you will find early writing from J.D. Salinger, e.e. cummings, Marianne Moore, May Swenson, James T. Farrell, Kenneth Rexroth, Robert Bly, Cyrus Colter, Anselm Hollo, Joyce Carol Oates, Richard Hugo, and Josephine Jacobsen, among others.
The magazine publishes fiction, essays, poetry, reviews, and artwork that seek to illuminate the current cultural moment. We prize innovation of language, technique, and story above all else.
New Letters has been awarded a National Magazine Award, the industry’s highest honor, and is often included in annual anthologies, such as The Pushcart Prize: Best of The Small Presses, New Stories from the Midwest, and The Best American series.
Published at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, New Letters receives support from the Missouri Arts Council and numerous other organizations and friends who champion the literary arts.
Find more great literary magazines at the NewPages Guide to Lit Mags.