NewPages Big List
of Alternative Magazines
"NewPages has the most up-to-date
and reliable lists of magazines on the web."
Complete Alt Mag Listings
New & Featured Listings
- Read more...
Each issue of a Common Place magazine brings you: Inspiring stories from around the world; Spectacular photography; Ways you can make a difference.
- Read more...Utne is a leading voice for the independent press, bringing readers the other side of the story on issues ranging from the environment to the economy and from politics to pop culture.
- Read more...Imagine life with fewer clothes and greater freedom. N (Nude & Natural), the Magazine of Naturist Living, gives you the skinny on all things naturist.
- Read more...In the pages of Dissent you will find some of the fiercest battles over politics, principles and ideas anywhere on the left today.
A&U magazine collecting, archiving, publishing and distributing the growing body of art, activism, and current events emanating from the AIDS pandemic
- Acres U.S.A.North America's largest, oldest magazine serving commercial-scale organic/sustainable farmers, teaching the latest techniques for growing nutritious crops and healthy livestock.Read more...
Adbusters fighting back against the hostile takeover of our psychological, physical and cultural environments by commercial forces.
Advocate world’s leading gay news source reporting monthly on news, politics, business, medical issues, fine arts, and entertainment
Aeon digital magazine of arts and culture
- Against The CurrentBimonthly magazine featuring lively coverage and dialogue on movements for global justice, with special focus on labor rights and union democracy, feminism and antiwar activism.Read more...
Alternatives Journal Canada’s national environmental magazine
Amerasia Journal the leading interdisciplinary journal in Asian American Studies
American Atheists fighting for the civil liberties of atheists and the total, absolute separation of government and religion
- American ForestsAmerican Forests is for people from all walks of life, from rural to urban settings, who share an abiding love for trees and forests.Read more...
The American Interest an independent voice devoted to the broad theme of “America in the world.”
The American Prospect aiming to advance liberal and progressive goals through reporting, analysis, and debate
Anarchist Studies research into the history, culture, theory and practice of anarchism
Anarcho-Syndicalist Review an independent labor magazine
Anarchy: A Journal of Desire Armed today’s most provocative, creative, vibrant, and critical strains of anti-authoritarian discourse and art
- Anastamos: Interdisciplinary Journal focusing on a single topic with diverse perspectives on the human experience
Anthropocene innovative and often counterintuitive solutions to environmental and development challenges and the in-depth stories about the people and technologies behind those innovations
Antipode A Radical Journal of Geography
- AppalachiaAppalachia is the longest-running journal of mountaineering and conservation. Each issue delivers inspired writing on mountain exploration and ecology, poetry, and an international climbing review.Read more...
ARC Caribbean art and culture
Arena (Australia) a publication which has made an impact on political and cultural interpretation and practice over a period of more than thirty years
ASAP Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy
Asian Labour Review using labour in Asia as the entry point to understanding production and reproduction of our society as a whole
The Atlantic politics, business, foreign affairs, and cultural trends
Atlantis: Critical Studies in Gender, Culture & Social Justice dedicated to the ongoing growth of knowledge in the field of Women's and Gender Studies
Author featuring interviews with best-selling and first-time authors, reviews, articles
Autostraddle a progressively feminist online community
Babble for a new generation of moms
The Baffler interesting and unexpected left-wing political criticism, cultural analysis, short stories, poems and art
Bakwa Magazine engaging in the politics of art and culture, with an emphasis on Africa and its diaspora
Belt Magazine independent journalism about the Rust Belt
Berkeley Journal of Gender, Law & Justice feminist legal publication critically examining the intersection of gender with one or more axis of subordination
Berkeley Journal of Sociology providing a forum to wrestle with questions of how to get from Point A to Point B
Bitch Media providing a feminist critique and analysis of pop culture
Black Renaissance Noire publishes essays, poetry, fiction, photography, art, and reviews that address the full range of contemporary BLACK concerns
The Black Scholar devoted to the exploration of cultural, political, social, and economic issues affecting black Americans and other peoples of African descent across the world
The Blackstone Review the pursuit of ideas
Bluestockings a Brown University-based feminist-minded multimedia publication, writing from a gender-aware perspective.
Bookforum one of the three largest book review publications in the world
Briarpatch Magazine original reporting, insight, and analysis from a grassroots perspective
Broken Pencil dedicated exclusively to exploring independent creative action
Brooklyn Rail an independent forum for arts, culture, and politics throughout NYC and beyond
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists engaging science leaders, policy makers, and the public on nuclear weapons and disarmament, the changing energy landscape, emerging technologies, and climate change
Business Ethics writing on the fields of ethics, governance, corporate responsibility and socially responsible investing
BUST fierce, funny, and proud to be female
CAMERA devoted to promoting accurate and balanced coverage of Israel and the Middle East
Camera Obscura forum for scholarship and debate on feminism, culture, and media studies
Canadian Dimension for people who want to change the world
Canadian Literature poetry, articles, reviews
Canadian Woman Studies making current writing and research on a wide variety of feminist topics accessible to the largest possible community of women
Capital & Class provides a critique of global capitalism in the Marxist tradition
Capitalism Nature Socialism journal of ecosocialism, encompassing anticapitalist perspectives that are both egalitarian and environmental
The Center for Public Integrity investigative journalism on issues of public concern
Centro Journal leading peer-reviewed academic journal dedicated to the field of Puerto Rican Studies
Challenge a leftist magazine focusing on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict within a global context
Chartist providing a safe space for those who subscribe to the broad ideal of democratic socialism
The Chicago Reporter investigative news organization that focuses on race, poverty and income inequality in Chicago and the nation
- China Rights ForumChina Rights Forum provides an English-language outlet for leading writers and activists promoting rights and democratization in the People’s Republic of China.Read more...
Cineaste Magazine American's leading magazine on the art and politics of the cinema
Cinema Scope expanding the frame on international cinema
City Limits investigative journalism through the prism of NYC to identify urban problems, examine their causes, explore solutions, and equip communities to take action
CLEARING Magazine the primary periodical for environmental education in the PNW/Cascadia bioregion
Colorlines daily new site where race matters
Columbia Journalism Review a deliberative mix of reporting, analysis, criticism, and commentary
The Comics Journal covers the comics medium from an arts-first perspective
- A Common PlaceRead more...
Each issue of a Common Place magazine brings you: Inspiring stories from around the world; Spectacular photography; Ways you can make a difference.
Communities addressing community and sharing new models for society
Compass Cultura monthly publish three in-depth, high-quality articles written by travel journalists from all over the world
- ConsciencePublished by Catholics for a Free Choice. Offers in-depth coverage on issues related to reproductive rights, sexuality and gender, feminism, the Religious Right, women's rights, church/state issues and US politics.Read more...
Corporate Responsibility Magazine a magazine of corporate responsibility
CounterPunch bi-weekly muckraking newsletter
The Country Grind Quarterly "epic newspaper written by and for rural punks"
Countryside & Small Stock Journal where homesteaders share a wide variety of experiences and ideas about simple, sustainable, country living
- Critical Asian StudiesPeer-reviewed journal formerly known as the Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars. Features essays, reviews, translations, photo essays, and literature.Read more...
Critical Inquiry devoted to the best critical thought in the arts and humanities
Critical Read telling the true stories behind important works of art
Critical Review An Interdisciplinary Journal of Politics and Society
Critique worldwide student journal of politics
Cultural Critique forum for creative and provocative scholarship in the theoretical humanities and humanistic social sciences
Cultural Survival Quarterly promoting rights, voices, and visions of indigenous peoples
Culture Change mobilizing people to slash petroleum consumption, reduce pollution, avert complete climate chaos, stop the assault of petrochemical toxins on our bodies, end war for oil, and localize economies
Curve magazine best-selling lesbian magazine, spotlights all that is fresh, funny, exciting, controversial, and cutting-edge
differences theoretical debates across the disciplines that address the ways concepts and categories of difference—notably but not exclusively gender—operate within culture
- DissentIn the pages of Dissent you will find some of the fiercest battles over politics, principles and ideas anywhere on the left today.Read more...
Dissident Voice providing hard-hitting, thought-provoking, entertaining news and commentaries on politics and culture, serving as ammunition in struggles for peace and social justice
Dollars & Sense the magazine on economic justice
Dream Network containing dream-related articles, poetry, reviews and art
E - The Environmental Magazine environmental news and green living tips
Earth First! the voice of the radical environmental movement
- Earth Island JournalEarth Island Journal consistently delivers environmental stories that mainstream media often fail to cover.Read more...
Easy Street a venue to discuss the publishing industry, to showcase work, and to share viewpoints on diverse aspects of contemporary life and culture
Edge promote inquiry into/discussion of intellectual, philosophical, artistic, and literary issues
The Electric Review critiques of recent book and music releases
Environment science and policy for sustainable development
The Epoch Times independent voice reporting news responsibly and truthfully, and upholding and defending freedom of the press, freedom of speech, and freedom of assembly
Escape into Life pushing the boundaries of visual art and literature
Ethical Consumer (UK) leading alternative consumer organization
Extra! magazine of well-documented media criticism
Feminist Collections reviewing the latest print, electronic, and audiovisual resources for research and teaching women's studies
Feminist Formations feminists from around the world articulate research, theory, activism, teaching, and learning
- Feminist StudiesFeminist Studies, is the oldest continuing scholarly journal in the field of women's studies published in the U.S., publishes an interdisciplinary body of feminist knowledge.Read more...
Feminist Teacher discussing such topics as multiculturalism, interdisciplinarity, and distance education within a feminist context
Fifth Estate an anti-authoritarian magazine of ideas & action
Film Threat film reviews, film festival coverage, exclusive filmmaker interviews, original video content
First of the Month committed to cultivating the power of the powerless
First Things journal of religion, culture, and public life
The Flaneur an illustrated journal of global culture
Flatpicking Guitar dedicated to presenting all aspects of the art of flatpicking the acoustic guitar
Foreward Reviews reviews
The Freeman explores the principles underlying a free society
Freethought Today the only freethought newspaper in North America
Frontier Toronto-based publication exploring and celebrating the risks taken in the process of creating something original and worthwhile
fRoots essential worldwide roots music guide
- The Funny TimesThe Funny Times is a monthly humor newspaper featuring the best of recent cartoons and humor pieces on politics and culture.Read more...
Gadfly culture that matters
- The Gay & Lesbian Review bimonthly magazine of history, culture, and politics
Gay Parent publication dedicated to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parenting
Geist a Canadian literary magazine of ideas and culture
Generation Progress Works to help young people make their voices heard on issues that matter
Grassroots Fundraising Journal promoting the connection between fundraising, social justice, and movement-building
Green American Covers emerging ideas and models for creating a just and sustainable society
Green Horizon Quarterly articles that explore, clarify, and analyze Green leadership in different dimensions
Green Teacher helps youth educators enhance environmental and global education
Guernica magazine of arts and politics
GUTS Canadian Feminist Magazine (Canada) feminism, fiction, nonfiction, interviews, reviews
The Hairsplitter critical reviews and essays of any and all media & events
Happy is a music, arts, and lifestyle magazine and blog
Harvard Civil Rights-Liberties Law Review the nation's leading progressive law journal
Harvard Journal Of Law & Gender the nation’s oldest continuously publishing feminist law journal
Herb Companion focuses on the joys of gardening and cooking with herbs
Herb Quarterly bringing the joy of herbs and herb gardening
HerbalGram American Botanical Council’s scientific quarterly journal
Herizons Canadian feminist magazine that delivers the inside scoop on the Canadian women's movement
High Country News for people who care about the West
The Hightower Lowdown documenting and celebrating populist hope and strength
- Hinduism TodayA quarterly magazine to inform and inspire Hindus and people interested in Hindu philosophy, culture and practices such as yoga, meditation, vegetarianism and alternative medicine.Read more...
Home Power most comprehensive technical coverage of solar, wind, and microhydro electricity
An Honest Tune southern journal of jam
HopeDance radical solutions inspiring hope
The Horn Book Magazine essential for everyone who cares about children's and young adult literature
- The HumanistThe Humanist magazine has advanced progressive ideals for over 60 years, applying compassion and reason to the critical social and ethical issues of our time.Read more...
- Humor TimesThe news in cartoons, featuring the finest editorial cartoonists from around the country to review the news! Featuring columnists and non-political panels as well.Read more...
Hunter/Gatherer newsletter from The Wildist Institute to explain the principles and practice behind wildist conservationism
Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy a forum for cutting edge work in feminist philosophy
Hyphen magazine a news and culture magazine that illuminates Asian America
Imagine dedicated to providing curious young minds with the information and inspiration they need
- In These TimesIn These Times is dedicated to informing and analyzing popular movements for social, environmental and economic justice through independent journalism based on progressive values.Read more...
The Independent the leading source of information for independent, grassroots, and activist media-makers, providing inspiration and information for their films and video projects
Index on Censorship repositories of original, challenging, controversial and intelligent writing on free expression issues
Indian Country Today nation's leading American Indian news source
Information for Social Change examines issues of censorship, freedom and ethics amongst library and information workers (UK)
Inroads Canadian journal of opinion
International Socialist Review journal of revolutionary Marxism
Inthefray seeing the world through different I’s
Jewish Currents a progressive, secular voice
The Jewish Daily Forward defender of trade unionism and moderate, democratic socialism
Journal of Asian Studies the latest in-depth scholarship on Asia’s past and present
Junctures journal for thematic dialogue
JUST Commentary international movement for a just world
JUXTAPOZ art & culture magazine
Lapham's Quarterly a magazine of history & ideas
Left History interdisciplinary journal of historical inquiry and debate
The Lesbian News nation's #1 magazine for Lesbians of all colors & viewpoints
- Light of ConsciousnessDedicated to awakening consciousness, personal and global transformation, and timeless wisdom of the world’s religious traditions. “The best produced journal on spiritual and yogic thought.”Read more...
LILIPOH life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
Lilith independent, Jewish, frankly feminist
Literary Review of Canada the one magazine Canadians must read to remain up to date about politics and culture
Living Blues America's oldest and most authoritative blues magazine
Loving More only magazine dedicated exclusively to topics involving Polyamory-multi-partner relating
Luna Luna Magazine an online community interested in art, feminism, literature, opinion, sex, and the occult
Mandala offering authentic Buddhist teachings
Marvels & Tales: Journal of Fairy-Tale Studies scholarly work dealing with the fairy tale in any of its diverse manifestations and contexts
Massage exploring today's touch therapies
Mental Floss where knowledge junkies get their fix
Meridians feminism, race, transnationalism
Metta Physics exploring the science-spirituality interface
Midwifery Today the heart and science of birth
Minnesota Women's Press fresh perspective on women's ideas and issues
Moment Jewish politics, culture, religion
Monthly Review an independent socialist magazine
Mother Earth News the original guide to living wisely
- Mother JonesMother Jones magazine, is a non-profit, investigative reporting publication dedicated to uncovering the truth behind the spin. Get Real News. Get Mother Jones.Read more...
Mothering natural family living
- Ms. MagazineMs., which recently joined forces with the Feminist Majority Foundation, is the definitive source for ideas, action and information on the struggle for women’s equality.Read more...
The Music Matters Review music reviews
Musicworks Magazine rare and daring explorations in sound
- N MagazineImagine life with fewer clothes and greater freedom. N (Nude & Natural), the Magazine of Naturist Living, gives you the skinny on all things naturist.Read more...
- NamarupaNAMARUPA is a new journal that conveys the vast scope of sacred philosophical thought that has emanated from the land and people of India over many millennia.Read more...
- The NationNews and analysis on politics and culture from the left. Unconventional Wisdom Since 1865.Read more...
National Parks protecting national parks for future generations
Native Peoples the arts, culture and lifeways of the Native peoples of the Americas
Nerve Love. Sex. Culture.
Network News publication for the National Network for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
- The New Criterion a monthly review of the arts and intellectual life
The New Left Review articles, interviews, topical comments and book reviews
- New MoonEdited by girls 8-14. Ad-free, imaginative, multicultural bimonthly magazine that girls, parents and educators love. Six Parents' Choice Gold Awards for best children's magazine.Read more...
The New Republic a journal of politics and the arts
New Voices written by and for Jewish college students
The Next American City documents and conceives realistic solutions about how to make cities better
- Now & ThenNow & Then magazine presents a fresh, revealing picture of life in Appalachia, past and present, with engaging articles, personal essays, fiction, poetry, and photography.Read more...
Nutrition Action Healthletter newsletter for the Center for Science in the Public Interest
Pacific Affairs an international review of Asia and the Pacific
- ParabolaPARABOLA is a quarterly journal dedicated to exploring the wisdom and beauty of traditional cultures as they relate to the modern quest for meaning.Read more...
- Passport MagazinePASSPORT Magazine is America’s #1 gay and lesbian travel magazine. Readers love the magazine’s personal travel reporting and they truly appreciate the most comprehensive resource listings.Read more...
Paste signs of life in music, film and culture
Pathfinders Travel travel magazine for people of color
People's World Working-class news and opinions since 1923
Places Journal A nonprofit journal of narrative journalism and public scholarship on architecture, landscape, and urbanism.
Planet Drum PULSE biannual newspaper on bioregional sustainability, education, culture
Political Science Quarterly nonpartisan journal covering government, politics and policy
PopMatters global culture
POZ chronicling the AIDS epidemic in the US and overseas
Privacy Journal publication on the individual's right to privacy
- The ProgressiveThe mission of The Progressive is to be a journalistic voice for peace and social justice at home and abroad.Read more...
Progressive Populist believes people are more important than corporations
Provincetown Arts devoted to art, writing, theater
Public Eye navigates the complexities of the Right
Radical History Review on the cutting edge of historical analysis
The Raymond Carver Review a biennial peer-reviewed, electronic journal that publishes the best critical work both from established and emerging Carver scholars around the world
Reason free minds and free markets
Religion Watch monitoring trends in contemporary religion
Resurgence & Ecologist at the heart of earth, art and spirit
RFD open forum for new ideas, radical views and controversial issues
Ricepaper (Canada) devoted to showcasing Asian-Canadian artists, writers, performers and innovators
Riot Material literary-cultural magazine welcoming ideas on word, art, and forward-aiming thought
Rolling Thunder an anarchist journal of dangerous living
S/tick (Canada) a space for creative feminist writing and artwork
SAGE Magazine Expanding environmentalism
SageWoman celebrating the goddess in every woman
Sampsonia Way celebrating literary freedom of expression
Satellite focuses on cities, culture and politics
Shakti Yogi Journal brings attention back to what we do, buy, say, and think
Shots Magazine photography
Shout Out UK opening the minds of a voiceless generation
Sierra Magazine "Exploring, Enjoying, and Protecting the Planet"
Skeptic Magazine examining extraordinary claims, exploring revolutionary ideas, and promoting good science
Skeptical Inquirer tells what the scientific community actually knows about claims of the paranormal
Skipping Stones a nonprofit magazine for youth that encourages communication, cooperation, creativity and celebration of cultural and environmental richness
- Small Farmers JournalSmall Farmer's Journal is an international quarterly serving the future of farming.Read more...
- Social Policy reports on and analyzes contemporary movements for social change in the workplace, the community, and the world
Socialism and Democracy the continuing relevance of socialist politics and vision
Socialist Standard (UK) monthly socialist newspaper focusing mainly on socialist advocacy and Marxian analysis of current events
Sojourners addresses issues of faith, politics, and culture from a biblical perspective
South: A Scholarly Journal publishing scholarly essays on the south
The Sovereign Newspaper of the resistance!
Space and Culture explores and critiques everyday life in contemporary cities, environment, new media
STAND the magazine for men who give a damn
Steez publishes a broad variety of content focusing on snowboarding, skateboarding, art, music and the surrounding culture
Storytelling, Self, Society covering a wide variety of topics related to oral narrative
Strings magazine for players of bowed stringed instruments
The Sun uses words and photographs to invoke the splendor and heartache of being human
Tablet daily online magazine of Jewish news, ideas, and culture
Tathaasu Eastern wisdom for mind, body, soul
Texas Observer biggest little muckraker in Texas
ThinkProgress project of Center for American Progress Action Fund
Third World Resurgence to give a Third World perspective to the whole range of issues confronting the Third World
This Magazine Canadian politics, pop culture and the arts
Tikkun Jewish critique of politics, culture and society
- TricycleTricycle: The Buddhist Review is an internationally distributed mainstream quarterly dedicated to exploring the full range of Buddhist activity and its impact on American culture.Read more...
The Trumpeter is an environmental journal dedicated to the development of an ecosophy, or wisdom, born of ecological understanding and insight
The Vegetarian Journal for those interested in Vegetarian Health, Ecology, and Ethics
Vegetarian Times delicious recipes, expert wellness information and environmentally sound lifestyle solutions
Vegetarian Voice exploring compelling consumer, environmental, animal rights, and lifestyle issues
Vegetarians in Paradise Los Angeles vegetarian webzine
VegNews up-to-date information on living a compassionate and healthy lifestyle
VIDA Review interviews, articles and essays related to intersectional feminist and womanist thinking, especially in the literary world, publishing, education and the arts
Waging Nonviolence news, analysis, original reporting about nonviolent activism
The Walrus Canadian general-interest magazine with an international outlook
Washington Report on Middle East Affairs news and analysis from and about the Middle East and U.S. policy in that region
Whispering Wind American Indian past and present
WIN News Women's International Network
The Wolfian dedicated to delivering political articles on liberalism and social democracy with philosophical, constitutional, and intellectual discussion
Women's Rights Law Reporter journal of legal scholarship and feminist criticism
Workers World a working-class party that fights against capitalism
World Ark devoted to finding holistic, global solutions for sustainable communities
World Policy Journal a progressive, global outlook that challenges conventional wisdom
- WorldViewA magazine of news and comment about events, people and communities in the less-developed regions of Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and the Pacific islands.Read more...
Yes! invites readers to be part of a global community of change makers
- Yoga InternationalMost people know yoga only as an exercise/beauty regime, however, yoga means union. Authentic yoga creates union between body, mind and spirit.Read more...
Yoga Journal retreat for Yoga poses, classes, meditation, and life