Program description: The MFA Writing Program at Greensboro is one of the oldest such programs in the country. During the early years, the University had among its faculty a number of noted writers, such as Allen Tate, Caroline Gordon, John Crowe Ransom, Hiram Haydn, Peter Taylor, and Randall Jarrell. They invited other distinguished writers to campus to read from their work and to meet with students; these writers included Robert Lowell, Robert Frost, Flannery O’Connor, Robert Penn Warren, Eudora Welty, and Saul Bellow. In 1965, under the leadership of Robert Watson, creative writing offerings were formalized. Since that time, enrollment has grown, but the faculty has intentionally kept the program small, enabling students to have individual conferences with faculty.
Ours is a two-year residency program with an emphasis on providing students with studio time in which to study the writing of poetry or fiction. The program’s flexibility permits students to develop their particular talents through small classes in writing, literature, and the arts. As a community of writers, students read and comment on each other’s work under the guidance of resident and visiting faculty, who also meet with students in one-on-one tutorials.
Ten to twelve new students are admitted each fall. Research Assistantships are available to many applicants. All applicants are considered for the Randall Jarrell and Fred Chappell fellowships.
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Subtitle: MFA Writing Program
- Mailing Address 1: UNC Greensboro
- Mailing Address 2: 3302 Moore Humanities and Research Admin Building
- Mailing Address 3: PO Box 26170
- Mailing City: Greensboro
- Mailing State: NC
- Mailing Postal Code: 27402-6170
- Program Director: Terry Kennedy
- Program Contact: Terry Kennedy
- Phone Number: (336) 334-5459
- Website: http://mfagreensboro.org
- Facebook: Facebook
- Twitter: Twitter
- Degree: MFA
- Type: residency
- Length of Program: 2 years
- Genre: Fiction, Poetry
- Enrollment: 25
- Total Credits Required: 36
- Application Deadlines: January 1
- Scholarships: yes (see website)
- Assistantships: yes (see website)
- Core Faculty: Xhenet Aliu, Stuart Dischell, Holly Goddard Jones, Terry Kennedy, Derek Palacio, Emilia Phillips, Jessie Van Rheenen
- Publishing/Editing Courses: yes (see website)
- Literary Magazine: Greensboro Review
- Reading Series: See website
- Recent Visiting Writers: Alan Shapiro, Bruce Snider, Carol Moldaw, David Payne, David Rivard, Erin McGraw, Heather Hartley, John Hoppenthaler, Joshua Ferris, Karen Russell, Kathleen Graber, Katie Ford, Nami Mun, Oscar Hijuelos, Robert Pinsky, Rolf Potts, Sandra Beasley
- Short Program Description: We are one of the oldest MFA programs in the country. With an emphasis on studio time in which to study the writing of poetry or fiction, students also develop their talents through small classes in the arts. Workshops and individual conferences with faculty are the core of the curriculum.
- State: North Carolina