Roosevelt University College of Arts and Sciences
- MFA in Creative Writing
- 430 S. Michigan Avenue
- Program Director: Christian TeBordo
- Program Contact: Christian TeBordo
- Phone Number: (312) 341-2417
- Website: www.roosevelt.edu/academics/programs/masters-in-creative-writing-mfa
- Email: [email protected]
- Degree: MFA
- Type: residency
- Genre: Fiction, Nonfiction, Screenwriting
- Total Credits Required: 45
- Assistantships: yes (see website)
- Core Faculty: Kyle Beachy, Regina Buccola, Christian TeBordo
- Publishing/Editing Courses: yes (see website)
- Literary Magazine: Oyez Review
- Press: Featherproof Books
- Recent Visiting Writers: Gina Frangello, Tim Kinsella, Bayo Ojikutu, Suzanne Scanlon
Program description: Prepare for your life as a writer in Chicago’s thriving literary community through Roosevelt University’s close-knit community of writers. Our Master’s in Creative Writing (MFA) program allows students the time and attention to develop their craft and challenge their artistic boundaries. Our students complete a book-length manuscript of publishable quality and receive intensive faculty mentorship and support throughout the process.
Students develop a specialty and subspecialty in fiction and nonfiction (or vice versa) and work in any prose tradition, including the novel and long-form nonfiction. They also are provided with opportunities to edit and produce the literary journal Oyez Review, which publishes the work of writers from all over the world. Additionally, MFA students can apply for internships and receive mentoring from working writers.
Program graduates have gone on to become authors, and worked in the education, publishing, journalism, marketing, advertising, and arts administration fields.