Program description: If you're interested not only in writing your book but getting it published, then Fairfield's MFA is the program for you. Our alumni have published more than 56 books, in addition to hundreds of articles, essays, stories, and poems. With our post-graduate teacher-training program, students have also been offered teaching positions on the college level, and our new concentration in publishing and editing has helped students get internships at magazines and publishing houses. We offer concentrations in fiction (including literary YA, historical, and short story), poetry, nonfiction, scriptwriting/playwriting, spiritual writing, as well as dual genres and mixed genres. With our flexible, twice-yearly residencies on Enders Island in Mystic, CT, you don't have to interrupt your life, your career, or your family by attending weekly classes. While highly rigorous, the program can be tailored to suit a student's individual writing goals.
Some of additional program highlights include the Fairfield Book Prize competition, open only to students and alumni of our MFA program; the chance to gain important editorial experience working on our national MFA student-led literary journal, or with one of several faculty who run their own presses; the ability to work individually with agents, editors, and publishers.
- Subtitle: MFA in Creative Writing (low-res)
- Mailing Address 1: Fairfield University - Graduate Admission Office
- Mailing Address 2: 1073 North Benson Road
- Mailing City: Fairfield
- Mailing State: CT
- Mailing Postal Code: 06824
- Program Director: Sonya Huber
- Program Contact: Elizabeth Hastings
- Phone Number: (203) 254-4000
- Website: www.fairfield.edu/...
- Facebook: Facebook
- Twitter: Twitter
- Degree: MFA
- Type: low-residency
- Length of Program: 2 years
- Genre: Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, Screenwriting, Playwriting
- Enrollment: 40
- Total Credits Required: 60
- Application Deadlines: Rolling
- Scholarships: yes (see website)
- Assistantships: no
- Core Faculty: Sonya Huber, Michael White, Rachel Basch, Alan Davis, Carol Ann Davis, Eugenia Kim, Susan Muaddi Darraj, Dinty W. Moore, Karen Osborn, Adriana Paramo, William B. Patrick, Hollis Seamon, Jennifer Vanderbes, Baron Wormser
- Visiting Faculty: Carrie Brown, Paul Lakeland, Judish Weber, Meghan Daum, Barbara Unger, Valerie Martin, Richard Hoffman, Geof Hewitt, Dani Shapiro, Carlos M. N. Eire, Jayne Anne Phillips, Mary Karr, Wally Lamb, Philip Schultz, Rick Moody, Sue William Silverman, Anita Shreve, Mark Doty, Andres Dubus III, Paul Hertneky, Sigrid Nunez, Gloria Norris, Nahid Rachlin
- Publishing/Editing Courses: yes (see website)
- Literary Magazine: Mason's Road
- Reading Series: Inspired Writers' Series
- Recent Visiting Writers: Lisa Lucas, Christian Madsbjerg, Matt Tullis, Leila Philip, Elizabeth H. Boquet, Paul Lakeland, Matthew Winkler, Gloria Norris, Jean Hanff Korelitz
- Short Program Description: Before you write your story, you have to find your voice. As a student in Fairfield’s MFA in Creative Writing, you can pursue fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and scriptwriting/playwriting. Within these genres you can pursue concentrations in publishing/editing, spiritual writing, or literary health and healing.
- State: Connecticut