The Art of Protest: Art and Scholarship as Political Resistance is the theme for the 2019 Mayapple & Sarah Lawrence Summer Workshop, June 13-22 in Bronxville, New York.
Mayapple Center for the Arts and Humanities will host workshops focused on participants choice of activist art, and the daily schedule will include restorative and affirmative yoga and mediation practices in nature.
- Engaging Civically through Collaborative Art: Developing a Working Aesthetics of Protest Art with Michelle Slater
- Staging the Revolution: Protest, Performance, and Social Change with Dana Edell
- Writing and Exploring Songs that Matter to Us and the World with Dar Williams
- Writing and Social Action: The Power of the Personal Voice in a Polical World with Brian Morton
- Ekphrastic Politics with Mahogany L. Brown [pictured]
- Art and Activism: Creative Collaborations in the Public Sphere with David Birkin
Enrollment is limited and applicants must provide an explanation of their interest as well as a sample of their work. Some financial assistance is avaialable.