Jimmy Santiago Baca Film & Fundraiser
Inspired by the same-named memoir, A Place to Stand is the story of Jimmy Santiago Baca’s transformation from a functionally illiterate convict to an award-winning poet, novelist and screenwriter. Told through extensive interviews with Jimmy, his family, friends and peers, A Place to Stand follows Jimmy’s path from Estancia, New Mexico – where he lived with his indigenous grandparents – through childhood abandonment, adolescent drug dealing and a subsequent 5-year narcotics sentence at Arizona State Prison in Florence, one of the most violent prisons in the country. Jimmy’s extraordinary life is both inspiring and haunting, simultaneously an indictment of our current criminal justice system and a model of the potential for human transformation.
The filmmakers are looking to extend the reach of the movie through an Indiegogo educational campaign to do the following:
- Hold over 50 public screenings across the US (see the website for information on how you can host a screening).
- Release the film digitally and on DVD for consumers.
- Partner with an educational distributor to maximize our reach to schools.
- Secure broadcast distribution (TV presentation) for the film.
- Provide the film, curriculum, and workbook materials to over 100 schools, prisons, and organizations.
- Partner with prison reform organizations to use the film as an activism and awareness-raising tool.
A number of the perks include educational materials to go along with the film as well as copies of the film, works by Baca, and more.