- Item View Image:
- A Journal of Nonfiction Narrative
About this Magazine:
River Teeth is a biannual print journal publishing the best of creative nonfiction, including narrative reportage, essays, and memoir. We are also home to Beautiful Things, a weekly online magazine of micro-essays.
- Editor(s): Daniel Lehman, Joe Mackall, Jill Christman, Mark Neely
- Organization (if applicable): River Teeth
- Address 1: Department of English
- Address 2: Ball State University
- City: Muncie
- State Code: IN
- Postal Code: 47306
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.riverteethjournal.com
- Facebook: Facebook
- Twitter: Twitter
- Blog: Instagram
- Format: Print
- Genres: Nonfiction
- Sample (Postpaid): $4 (US)
- Copy Price: $16 (US)
- Simultaneous Submissions: yes (with notice)
- Postal Submissions: no
- Email Submissions: no
- Online Submissions: yes (via Submittable)
- Subscription (individuals): $25 (US)
- Subscription (institutions): $65 (US)
- Reading Period: 9/1-12/1; 1/1-5/1
- Response Time: 6 weeks - 3 months
- Payment: copies
- Contests: yes (see website)
- ISSN: 1544-1849
- Founded: 1999
- Issues Per Year: 2
Publisher’s description: Founded in 1999 by Joe Mackall and Dan Lehman, River Teeth is recognized as a national leader in publishing quality essays, memoir, and literary journalism. Our authors include Ana Maria Spagna, Angela Morales, Brenda Miller, Chris Offutt, Fleda Brown, Ira Sukrungruang, Jerald Walker, Mohja Kahf, Phillip Lopate, and Rebecca McClanahan. Essays from the magazine have appeared in Best American Essays, Best American Science and Nature Writing, and the Pushcart Prize anthologies.
River Teeth publishes two issues a year, and accepts submissions from September 1 to December 1 and January 1 to May 1 for both our print journal, and for Beautiful Things, our free online journal of micro-nonfiction, which publishes essays of fewer than 250 words. Subscribe to Beautiful Things on our website and receive a new essay in your inbox every week. We encourage underrepresented writers to submit work for consideration, including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and disabled writers.
We also sponsor the annual River Teeth Literary Nonfiction Book Prize in coordination with the University of New Mexico Press. Past winners include Deborah Gwartney, Angela Morales, Brandon R. Schrand, and Sarah Viren. Submissions for the book prize are accepted from August 1 through October 31.
Find more great literary magazines at the NewPages Guide to Lit Mags.