Sena Jeter Naslund-Karen Mann Graduate School of Writing
MFA in Writing (low-res), MA in Writing (low-res)
- 845 S. Third St.
- Program Director: Kathleen Driskell
- Program Contact: Katy Yocom
- Phone Number: (502) 873-4400
- Website: spalding.edu/mfa
- Email: [email protected]
- Degree: MFA, MA
- Type: low-residency
- Length of Program: 2 years (MFA), 1 year (MAW)
- Genre: Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, Children's, Young Adult, Screenwriting, Playwriting, Cross-Genre
- Enrollment: 70
- Total Credits Required: 65 (MFA), 35 (MA), 15 (grad certificate)
- Application Deadlines: February 1 for spring and summer semesters; August 1 for fall semester
- Scholarships: yes (see website)
- Assistantships: yes (see website)
- Core Faculty: Elaine Neil Orr, Fenton Johnson, Silas House, Douglas Manuel, Robin Lippincott, Rachel Harper, Dianne Aprile, Rebecca Walker, Lesléa Newman, Sam Zalutsky, Charlie Schulman, Kira Obolensky, Keith S. Wilson, Maggie Smith, Leah Henderson, K. L. Cook, Felicia Rose Chavez, Gabriel Jason Dean, Angela Jackson-Brown, Ellen Hagan (see website for a complete list)
- Publishing/Editing Courses: yes (see website)
- Reading Series: Spalding @ 21c
- Recent Visiting Writers: Terese Marie Mailhot, Jacqueline Woodson, Kwame Alexander, Natasha Trethewey, John Patrick Shanley, Tim O’Brien, Kiki Petrosino, Kevin Willmott (see website for a complete list)
Program description: Spalding’s low-residency graduate writing programs offer intellectual rigor, affordability, flexibility, and community in an encouraging, noncompetitive environment. You’ll write more and receive more faculty feedback than in less rigorous programs. Our low-residency model helps you fit grad school into your busy life. And our unique program design allows you to dive deep into your own area, explore other genres, and examine the interrelatedness of the arts and other cultures.
We offer a 15-credit graduate certificate and a 35-credit MA in Writing (MAW), with tracks in Creative Writing as well as Professional Writing and Editing. Our nationally distinguished, 65-credit MFA program focuses on Creative Writing. Students can matriculate from the certificate or MAW into the MFA, earning two degrees for about the cost of one. All of our programs offer editorial experience, foster lifelong writing habits, and help you forge lasting writing communities.
Choose a faster, higher-intensity pace or a slower, less intensive pace. Complete two semesters a year by spending about 25 hours a week on writing and reading during independent study. Or take a less intensive route, completing one semester a year, devoting about 12 hours a week to independent study. The curriculum is the same either way.
Residencies take place in May and November (Louisville) or June/July (abroad). Our Summer 2022 residency takes us to Paris. Apply by February 1 for May or July entry, August 1 for November entry.
Unlike other schools, Spalding does not charge a registration fee, residency fee, or graduation fee. Financial aid is available.
Celebrating the MFA program’s 20th anniversary in 2021.