Publisher’s Description: Founded in 1985 by Donald Barthelme, Philip Lopate, and UH Creative Writing Program Graduate Students, Gulf Coast has been hailed by Sven Birkerts as an “established player” in the “progressive mainstream” (Boston Globe, 2004).
Each issue also includes fiction, poetry, and nonfiction from established and emerging writers, as well as two full-color art features and extensive book reviews. Authors included in the current issue or in the issue forthcoming in Fall 2013 include Anne Carson, Rigoberto Gonzalez, Quan Barry, Kevin Brockmeier, Patricia Hampl, Simeon Berry, Alan Heathcock, Traci Brimhall, Juan Felipe Herrera, Melanie Rae Thon, Lucie Brock-Broido, Emma Straub, Eamon Grennan, and many emerging writers. Also featured in the forthcoming issue will be an expanded critical art writing section and an illustrated roundtable on the art and craft of the graphic novel.
Works originally published in Gulf Coast have been selected for PEN/O. Henry, Pushcart, and Best American anthologies, including selections for 2013 Best American Poetry and 2014 Best American Travel Writing. Previously published authors include Sherman Alexie, Anne Carson, Junot Diaz, Billy Collins, Lauren Slater, Padgett Powell, Steve Almond, Maggie Shipstead, Seamus Heaney, Alix Ohlin, Carl Phillips, Mary Gaitskill, Terrance Hayes, Norman Dubie, Paul Muldoon, Laura Kasischke, Karen An-Hwei Lee, Mahmoud Darwish, and Philip Levine.
- Subtitle: A Journal of Literature and Fine Arts
- Item View Image:
- About this Magazine: Committed to publishing high quality fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and critical art writing from both established and emerging writers. Includes full-color art, interviews, and book reviews.
- Address 1: University of Houston
- Address 2: Department of English
- City: Houston
- State Code: TX
- Postal Code: 77204-3013
- Phone: (713) 743-3223
- Website: www.gulfcoastmag.org
- Facebook: Facebook
- Twitter: Twitter
- Format: Print
- Genres: fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art, reviews, interviews
- Simultaneous Submissions: yes
- Email Submissions: no
- Online Submissions: yes (see website)
- Reading Period: yes (see website)
- Response Time: 3-5 months
- Payment: yes (see website)
- Contests: yes (see website)
- ISSN: 0896-2251
- Founded: 1985
- Issues Per Year: 2
- Distributor(s): Ingram Periodicals
- Average Pages: 280
- Sample Copy (postpaid): $8
- Copy Price: $10
- Subscription (individuals): $16
- Subscription (institutions): $16