Publisher's description: The author's work in BDL is immutable, rough, and crimson, almost hot to the touch. If you approach the work carefully... if you soak in it, close your eyes and repeat a passage in your head, you will hear their voice—the story's voice. You'll come away thinking greedily, "it’s mine now."
Black Denim Lit welcomes thoughtful writers, new and established. Without entering into a debate as to what qualifies as "literary," we publish science fiction and fantasy and the “slightly off” that has unique and lasting artistic merit.
Why "Black Denim"...? In work clothes, black denim is less pretentious than khaki and more understated than blue jeans. This typifies the tone of writing style that appeals to us: grounded, approachable, and unassuming. Don't get us wrong—bring the grit, complexity, humor and strength. We look at a lot of genre work after all. But our tastes consider that "lasting artistic merit" can emerge from almost anywhere. The work we love comes from all over the world—Afghanistan, India, France, Korea, China, and Australia, etc—written by students, graduates, academicians and working-class folk. They write out of pure love for the art form. It shows.
Black Denim Lit
Last modified on August 28, 2014
Return to List.
- Subtitle: Online Magazine of Literary Adventure
- Item View Image:
- About this Magazine: Black Denim Lit provides approachable literary science fiction and fantasy grounded in characterizations of human experience that is at once dark and inspiring, disturbing and longing and always irreverent.
- Editor(s): Christopher T Garry, Hedwika Cox, Heather Brown
- Address 1: Black Denim Press, LLC
- Address 2: 509 S 53rd Place
- City: Renton
- State Code: WA
- Postal Code: 98055
- Phone: (206) 779-2632
- Website: www.bdlit.com
- Facebook: Facebook
- Twitter: Twitter
- Blog: Blog
- Format: Print, Online, E-pub
- Genres: fiction, art, cross-genre, drama, reviews
- Simultaneous Submissions: yes (with notice)
- Postal Submissions: no
- Email Submissions: no
- Online Submissions: yes (see website)
- Reading Period: year-round
- Response Time: 2-3 weeks
- Payment: yes (see website)
- Contests: yes (see website)
- ISSN: 2333-9977
- Founded: 2014
- Issues Per Year: 12